Saturday, April 25, 2009

Twins!!


Since my own birth stories always end with me in a two hour medicine induced sleep, I love to tell goat birth stories.
We had been watching her utter for signs that the baby was coming for weeks. We run the buck with the does so due dates are unknown. Finally on Wednesday morning her utter is so full the girls joke it is going to explode. We keep her in the kidding stall all day. She is upset by this fact as goats hate to be left behind. She had a friend with her but she felt this was not enough of the herd. Around 3:30 my husband says he hears what sounds like an injured cat. It takes me sometime to realize it is Hagar in labor. I tell Moonbeam to come out because the time is upon us. We sit. We wait. She bleats loudly in labor. We watch her pace for an hour. Nothing.
We have music academy on Wednesdays so we leave for class. While we are gone Hagar and all the goats escape the goat yard. Poor hubby tries to chase her down. He chased her to the goat yard then realized the door was still locked shut. She keeps on running.
I come home put the groceries on the table and hear about the chase. My mom goes looking for Hagar. She yells "It's Twins! It's Twins!" Moonbeam and I go running over. She is still licking them clean. We missed the birth by mere seconds. Well maybe we will catch it next time.
Just so you know, trying to drag a goat to the kidding stall after she gives birth and thinks her kids are still in the woods where she had them is NOT easy.

No comments: