Monday, April 13, 2009

God laughed


I told my MIL that I hope I never have to assist in a goat's labor. God laughed.

On Thursday morning I am fixing up a path I made (through the woods to get to the chickens easier)that got destroyed in the downpour. I see my favorite goat Delilah in labor. I carry her over to where I want her to give birth. Labor goes on for 20 more minutes. I bring Moonbeam in to watch the miracle of life. She asks how a baby is going to fit. I explain the joy and how on day it will happen to her. If only I had a camera for the look on her face.
The sack starts to come out, it breaks, fluid all down my legs. After a few pushes I realize to kid is not in the proper birthing position. I send Moonbeam in for the computer. This whole time I am freaking out. The Internet says to stick your hand in and try to reposition the kid. So I do it. No idea how to do it so I give up. Baby still wrong, gooey hand and Goat screaming in labor. The kid's head is out with one foot. I clean out the nose and mouth. Kid starts shaking its head. I cry some more afraid I will lose them both. Finally I wait until a contraction and just pull the baby out.
Beautiful black and white kid. Delilah does all the rest just like a mom should. As soon as she figure out why this kid is trying to drink her milk!
All in all a pretty good day

2 comments:

Laura said...

Cool! Way to go mom!

Anonymous said...

You amaze me, my fave DIL! Funny how miracles turn up in the middle of painful, bloody messes, yes? Remember that for the next mess. Can't wait to see ya'll! mom#2